Amanita muscaria tea isn't a modern-day concoction. In fact, it has been around for thousands of years. However, it has gained popularity in recent years for its medicinal properties and psychoactive effects. So much so that it's only natural to be intrigued by the brew.
If you're curious about making Fly Agaric tea, you've certainly come to the right place. We're divulging a straightforward, mouthwatering recipe that lets you ingest the shroom safely that actually satisfies your tastebuds.
The Ultimate Amanita Muscaria Tea Recipe
Don't worry; you don't need to be a skilled barista to craft some great-tasting Amanita muscaria. The recipe is wonderfully simple and shouldn't take very long at all.
That said, there are a few things you need to make it which we'll cover before jumping into the method.
Everything You Need to Make Amanita Muscaria Tea
To make Fly Agaric tea, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- Clean grinder
- Decaffeinated and herbal tea bags
- Ginger, lavender, or mint
- Coffee filter, strainer, or sieve
- Dried Amanita muscaria caps or extract powder
- Teapot or saucepan
If you have a fresh batch of Amanita muscaria mushrooms, you must dry them before crafting your tea.
As a beginner, we wouldn't suggest this. Instead, you can purchase properly prepared caps from our store to guarantee safety.
Although, some avid users do dry their own mushrooms by placing them on newspaper and storing them in a dry, dark environment. They usually take several weeks to dry. However, you can accelerate the drying process by cutting them into small pieces or heating them in the oven at very low heat.
Again, we recommend purchasing ready-to-go caps that have already been decarboxylated.
The Easy Ten-Step Method
Once you have everything you need to create your brew, follow these ten simple steps:
- Grind your preferred dose of Amanita muscaria in your grinder. We recommend grinding it between 15 and 30 minutes before you want to ingest it, so the granules don't escape when you open the grinder. If you are using the powder, you can skip this step.
- Set two herbal tea bags aside. You can use any type of herbal tea. However, we suggest decaffeinated versions as caffeine can impact your trip.
- Chop up some ginger, lavender, or mint.
- Boil water in the teapot or saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the mushrooms and the other ingredients you chopped earlier.
- Let the brew simmer for roughly 15 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a cup using the sieve or coffee filter.
- You can add honey or vanilla stevia to enhance the flavor if you want a sweeter tea.
- Sip and enjoy your freshly prepared Amanita muscaria tea!
How to Dose Amanita Mushroom Tea
You know how to make mushroom tea now. However, we didn't give much direction on the Fly Agaric dosages. And if it's your first time, you won't necessarily have a "preferred dose," so allow us to clear up the confusion.
Amanita muscaria shrooms contain two primary active ingredients — ibotenic acid and muscimol. While muscarine was originally thought to be the psychoactive alkaloid, researchers in 1964 discovered this wasn't the case.
The potency of alkaloids found inside your shrooms depends on a wide range of factors. Sources state that Fly Agaric mushrooms collected at higher altitudes have higher concentrations of muscimol and ibotenic acid.
Since everybody reacts differently to the active ingredients, you should always start with small doses to see how you feel. That said, the Amanita muscaria dosages tend to work as follows:
- Low dosage — A small or a medium cap
- Average dosage — One to three medium caps
- High dosage — At least two medium caps
How Long Does Fly Agaric Tea Take to Kick In?
Sources have mentioned that Amanita muscaria tea kicks in much faster than eating them dry or in food products like gummies. Why? Because the ibotenic acid and muscimol inside the mushroom are infused in water, so they hit your digestive tract much faster than solid foods.
You can expect to experience some effects from the mushroom within 30 minutes or less. Since everybody is different, you may have to wait a bit longer!
Just be patient and don't drink more tea until you've waited at least an hour (some users recommend waiting two to three hours) to experience the full effects.
Can You Store Amanita Muscaria Mushroom Tea?
Once you've made your brew, you don't have to drink it in one sitting. There's a lot of debate surrounding the longevity of shroom tea. So, we recommend treating it like a drink from the grocery store — put it in the fridge and consumer it within one week.
Dry mushrooms can last months, provided you store them currently. However, the liquid nature of tea significantly cuts its shelf life.
For best results, many Amanita muscaria users suggest pouring the brew into a glass container before storing it in the fridge.
Where to Find Amanita Muscaria Mushrooms for Your Brew
Professional foragers are adept at hunting, washing, and drying Fly Agaric caps safely. However, it isn't wise to go scurrying about and picking up every mushroom that could be this sought-after version. Thus, purchase dried and properly prepared shrooms from stores like ours.
Want to learn more about these shrooms? Check out the other articles on our blog!